Monday 22 August 2016

Ahmad al-Faqi al-Mahdi pleads guilty to charges of destroying ancient cultural artefacts in Timbuktu.

A Malian fighter has admitted guilt at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the first ever case of a suspect charged with war crimes against a World Heritage site.
Ahmas al-Faqi al-Mahdi pleaded guilty on Monday at the ICC in The Hague where he is accused of intentionally attacking nine mausoleums and the Sidi Yahi mosque within the city of Timbuktu in Mali.
Mahdi asked for forgiveness and said he had been swept up in an "evil wave" by al-Qaeda and the Ansar Dine groups, which briefly seized control of the northern city in 2012.
"This is the first and last wrongful act I will ever commit," Mahdi told the court in a measured and grave opening address.
"I regret what I have caused to my family, my community in Timbuktu, what I have caused to my home nation Mali," he added.
"I would like to seek the pardon of all the whole people of Timbuktu."


http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/08/man-trial-icc-destroying-timbuktu-artefacts-160822100834765.html

No comments:

Post a Comment